1996-07-23 - Re: [Noise] was Re: Giving 6 year old kids Uzi’s

Header Data

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
To: Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
Message Hash: 565d07cea0e207e92022f820a01b35507222813d94ebbf22d818f553483e96a5
Message ID: <v03007805ae1aafae20ad@[192.187.162.15]>
Reply To: <v0300760dae16b3606e8b@[192.187.162.15]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-23 20:35:34 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:35:34 +0800

Raw message

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:35:34 +0800
To: Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
Subject: Re: [Noise] was Re: Giving 6 year old kids Uzi's

At 5:14 PM -0700 7/22/96, Ernest Hua wrote:
>> >Rural America has a very different culture than urban America and urban
>> >America's recent attempts to impose its values (like hoplophobia) on us
>> >really chafes.
>>
>> Though it is well known that I am in favor of gun control regulations, I
>> have to support Brad Dolan here. There is a huge and traditional gun
>> culture in rural American, particularly in the midwest. The way most Jewish
>
>Or the way many blacks were lynched (physically and socially) in the South.
>Or the way many asians were segregated.  Or the way many ethnic groups
>fought each other in inner cities.
>
>These are cultural relics of the good ol' days I simply can do without.
>
>Ern

I find myself in the very peculiar and unfamiliar position of defending the
gun crowd--I fail to see how (speaking generally) a midwestern rural teen's
having a hunting rifle affects someone in urban America.

Any integrity with respect to civil liberties extends to the rights of
those with whom you disagree. Otherwise it's self-indulgence wrapped in
fancy-looking clothes.

David

Thread