1996-07-04 - Re: SAFE forum – remarks of Herb Lin

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: Herb Lin <hlin@nas.edu>
Message Hash: b9be5d2998620a47fe01f7421182bf2d6587fb696c3b804ac80da33b159aef9c
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.94.960703165306.5088L-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <9606038364.AA836434501@nas.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-04 02:55:32 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 10:55:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 10:55:32 +0800
To: Herb Lin <hlin@nas.edu>
Subject: Re: SAFE forum -- remarks of Herb Lin

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Herb Lin wrote:

> Folks -- I object to the characterization of my remarks about crime prevention
> being made with sarcasm.  The complete remark was "Crime prevention ought
> to be part of the FBI's mission, ... and it is -- ask them, and they acknowledge
>  that."

OK, sorry, my reading.  I'd certainly hate to jeopardize any professional
relationships by implying that you'd been poking fun at them on purpose.
There's already far too much distrust to go around.

As I recall, the sequence went "Crime prevention ought to be part of the
FBI's mission [audience snickers, Herb realizes what he just said and
smiles]... and it is -- ask them, and they acknowledge that."

The best standup comics are the genuine straight men, I guess. To avoid any
trouble, I'll be using that line *without* specific attribution from now on.

-rich

Thread