1996-07-03 - SAFE forum – remarks of Herb Lin

Header Data

From: “Herb Lin” <hlin@nas.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c4e9ef3280331bd6613d17f67d65e5b707d715f10dc6a1695a199145131d12a4
Message ID: <9606038364.AA836434501@nas.edu>
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 07:42:53 +0800

Raw message

From: "Herb Lin" <hlin@nas.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 07:42:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: SAFE forum -- remarks of Herb Lin

Folks -- I object to the characterization of my remarks about crime prevention
being made with sarcasm.  The complete remark was "Crime prevention ought
to be part of the FBI's mission, ... and it is -- ask them, and they acknowledge
 that."

No sarcasm was intended; the basic point was, and is, that encryption has costs
from
the perspective of the authorized information collection efforts of law
enforcement, and benefits
from the perspective of preventing information crimes such as the compromise of
proprietary
business information.

I am not on the cypherpunks list, so if you want me to respond, pls copy me at
hlin@nas.edu.

herb
===
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 10:57:30 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: SAFE Forum

On Mon, 1 Jul 1996, Bill Frantz wrote:

> "Crime prevention ought to be part of the FBI's mission. [Herbert Lin,
> National Research Council]

In case it's not clear, this was said with much sarcasm... i.e., today's
FBI is too often engaged in other pursuits.. This in the context of
explaining that ubiquitous strong crypto is the best defense against
computer crime.

-rich

Thread