1996-08-19 - Re: Billy boy’s satellites [Was - Floating DataHaven]

Header Data

From: Vipul Ved Prakash <vipul@pobox.com>
To: gary@systemics.com (Gary Howland)
Message Hash: ee5589681bd3dcb298717bd15af39b05f3cd4b4eb2056895c574c2cc8055e0e3
Message ID: <199608190016.AAA00419@fountainhead.net>
Reply To: <321446BF.20431CA7@systemics.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-19 10:43:26 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 18:43:26 +0800

Raw message

From: Vipul Ved Prakash <vipul@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 18:43:26 +0800
To: gary@systemics.com (Gary Howland)
Subject: Re: Billy boy's satellites [Was - Floating DataHaven]

> Vincent Cate wrote:
>
> > You can get Internet via radio links for reasonable prices.  And via
> > satellite for almost affordable prices.  When Bill Gates 900 satellites
> > get up there it should be very affordable.
>
> ... if a tad unrealiable?
>
> The thought of 900 satelites in low orbit, all running NT, makes me
> shudder.  Brings a new meaning to the expression "OS crash".
>
> What are cypherpunks thoughts on this?  Who really believes it'll work?
>
> Doesn't the low orbit part mean that the satellites will have a low life
> expectancy, meaning a new launch every couple of days? (where's Gerald
> Bull when you need him - oh yes, now I remember ...)

The Iridium Project was pretty neat in this respect. I don't know what
is happenning with it as of now. It had some 230+ satellites, and some
smart routing techniques, if a satellite goes down.

Vipul
vipul@pobox.com

Thread