1996-09-27 - Re: ssh - How widely used?

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Message Hash: a65fd91a87d4091339c6bcef97ed64eb96202c9f8bd59d711ea41943868f723b
Message ID: <199609271433.KAA08550@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <199609270039.TAA05797@homeport.org>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-27 17:22:34 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 01:22:34 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 01:22:34 +0800
To: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Subject: Re: ssh - How widely used?

Adam Shostack writes:
> 	Theres a windows version, mac is under vauge development.  SSH
> is pretty cool, but the code base is somewhat messy, and its shows
> signs of its origins in things like systems calls not having their
> return values checked.
>
> 	Despite all this, I use it, like it, and recomend it for use
> in systems not likely to come under attack by professionals.

I actually think its probably okay even for systems that might come
under professional attack -- I don't recommend it for use on systems
that are mission critical, though, like systems running transactions
and such. Indeed, I don't recommend running ANYTHING on such systems
unless you are really, really, really careful about what you are
running and where you are running it from.

.pm

Thread