1996-11-19 - Re: Reputation based hiring (was REQUESTING INFORMATION)

Header Data

From: “George A. Stathis” <hyperlex@hol.gr>
To: Clay Olbon II <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 90de66630294d7d18065585bca151d980f980b63c0a8a66c1ee0ed8fd08972d0
Message ID: <199611200231.AAA16348@prometheus.hol.gr>
Raw Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 14:33:29 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "George A. Stathis" <hyperlex@hol.gr>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 14:33:29 -0800 (PST)
To: Clay Olbon II <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Reputation based hiring (was REQUESTING INFORMATION)

At 01:02 ìì 19/11/1996 -0500, Clay Olbon II wrote:

>I won't comment on who I will or won't hire.  I will state that I believe
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>that what a person posts is a relevant issue when it comes time to make a
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>hiring decision.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very important admission here: WATCH out what you say, folks, from now
on. Say it _real_ nice, or else you WON'T GET HIRED!!! No "abuse", from
now on... :-)

aha, aha, aha! NOW I understand the insecurity and the fear of young
*unemployed* Americans. NOW I understand... :-)

>If someone thinks that another should not be hired for
>whatever reason, I support their right to hold that belief and even to
>publicize it.

Likewise. But ONLY publicly, in contrast to you (hiding it)...

><rant against cypherpunks deleted>
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There was NO rant "against cypherpunks" as such.
You could label my text a 'rant', by all means, but I note with interest
your attempt to turn it "against cypherpunks" (Setting a new target to what
was only a... friendly-clay-bullet, dear Clay). :-)

I would never hire you. What I need is people with a VISION;
NOT people with IMPAIRED VISION, distorting things so unreliably.

I need TRUE VISIONARIES able to work creatively in High Technology.
People like Philip Kahn (Hurrah) and Richard Branson (Hurrah, Bravo);
even Bill Gates himself, were SELF-MADE visionaries.

In contrast... people "threatening others with unemployability files",
are CLAY MEDIOCRITIES.

Your reputation is correct, given the kind of people you are 'selling'.
(Slaves in fact, just like in the SLAVE TRADE times... -High I.Q. slaves).

I would suggest, Clay, that you are indeed doing a good Job. But if you
are a... "Cypherpunk" then... I am the Emperor of Mars! :-)

>I won't follow you into the gutter on this one.  That horse has been dead
                             ^^^^^^
>for days (and it is beginning to smell really bad).
>        Clay                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You know Clay, if only you knew what TREASURE you have giveth me today :-)
I never even knew this existed locked up inside a... Smelly Clay Gutter...

Many thanks anyway
George

P.S. (deleted)

********************* CORPORATE GUTTER FOLLOWS: ***********************

>I would say you are a decent, honest, fearless man trying to do a job which

RANT DELETED

>with _serious_ issues of 'unemployability'., FURTHERMORE people are NEVER
>guilty before PROVEN so. Guilt or Innocence is NOT a matter of 'opinion',

RANT DELETED

>the guy's back. WHAT is going on? I've been harrassed and threatended TOO,
>just because of defending him or supporting people's rights to a fair trial?

RANT DELETED

>I have no disagreement with your down-to-earth explanations. But...
>Sooner or later your 'sheep-leader' Mr. Gilmore will start blocking access
>to MORE geniouses (other than Voulis, who I think _could_ be one) to your
>list, and then encryption will be entrusted to morons who can at ANY moment
>have their coding systems BROKEN!!!

RANT DELETED

>unemployability (as indeed happened in the letter quoted below) it's an
>alarming sign that the _criteria_ for employability are no longer your
>own decent down-to-earth criteria (honesty, intelligence, trust-worthiness)

RANT DELETED

>It's only recently that the type of fascist harrassment like "We'll put
>you on our U-list", has reached such ABUSE, MISUSE, and ALARMING FREQUENCY.

RANT DELETED

>You are, most probably, a real person with very real responsibilites.
>In this case, I appreciate you a lot, and hopefully my complaints have
>reached the right man's ear.

RANT DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDELETED.

huh?

Thread