1996-11-20 - Innocent until proven guilty

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 98742fb14478cee32bbaf936b1f030ddf69975ac6255aae3cdd88ae1ff6bb265
Message ID: <v03007800aeb8f3907bb2@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199611200231.AAA16348@prometheus.hol.gr>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-20 17:42:10 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:42:10 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:42:10 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Innocent until proven guilty

At 1:36 AM -0600 11/20/96, snow wrote:
>> At 01:02 =EC=EC 19/11/1996 -0500, Clay Olbon II wrote:
>> >with _serious_ issues of 'unemployability'., FURTHERMORE people are NEVER
>> >guilty before PROVEN so. Guilt or Innocence is NOT a matter of 'opinion',
>
>    Huh? People are most certainly guilty before "proven" so, the government
>just isn't allowed to _assume_ their guilt, or to _act_ like they are guilty.
>
>     If you purchase LSD in America, you are guilty of a felony--Drug
>trafficing. Wether the court _finds_ you guilty or not is another story.

In this case, the putative crime is "drug trafficking" or "possession,"
depending. One is still presumed innocent until proven guilty. To wit, the
state must prove its case.

I rather suspect that any prosecutors or defense lawyers on this list will
confirm that an LSD case is hardly a case of "guilty until proven innocent."

--Tim May

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.