1996-11-30 - Re: The Rise and Fall of Cypherpunks WAS [Re: the Dennings]

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9b526164cbb7365fd0cdd9a4c9c17dbb5272408d645ec510e4463094d4e157da
Message ID: <32A070DF.49A5@gte.net>
Reply To: <199611300829.BAA22027@infowest.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-30 17:58:37 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 09:58:37 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 09:58:37 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Rise and Fall of Cypherpunks  WAS [Re: the Dennings]

attila@primenet.com wrote:
> In <9611300437.AA05806@adsl-122.cais.com>, on 11/29/96
>    at 11:37 PM, Tim Scanlon <tfs@adsl-122.cais.com> said:
> ::(with apoligies to attila, who all this was NOT directed at) Tim Scanlon
>         no, I didn't read it that way, Tim. thanx for the tag though!

[snip]

I hope a lot of people read this - an excellent post in spite of the
paranoia.  However, there's a suggestion below (and perhaps in the [snip])
that government would use the rants by "aga" and the famous "Doctor" to
cut back on freedom, that somehow it would prove that cypherpunks are
inherently or latently "crazy" or whatever.

It's never been my impression that those kinds of rants had anything to
do with govt. clampdowns, in fact, the clamping down would more likely
follow the cypherpunks' heavy-handed responses to said rants.  Seems to
me that teaching how to filter would be the universal solution.

>         None of us are above a little sarcasm --but let's get the
>     vituperative effluent out of the system.  do whatever you wish in
>     private mail, but keep the profane rantings off the list.
>             this goes for you, Dimitri; and "aga" too.

Thread