1996-11-30 - The Rise and Fall of Cypherpunks WAS [Re: the Dennings]

Header Data

From: attila@primenet.com
To: Tim Scanlon <tfs@adsl-122.cais.com>
Message Hash: f600cabab6a3fc18842c4d26d43504269e4cbe5d4019babbdca833d387050d79
Message ID: <199611300829.BAA22027@infowest.com>
Reply To: <9611300437.AA05806@adsl-122.cais.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-30 08:28:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 00:28:54 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: attila@primenet.com
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 00:28:54 -0800 (PST)
To: Tim Scanlon <tfs@adsl-122.cais.com>
Subject: The Rise and Fall of Cypherpunks  WAS [Re: the Dennings]

In <9611300437.AA05806@adsl-122.cais.com>, on 11/29/96
   at 11:37 PM, Tim Scanlon <tfs@adsl-122.cais.com> said:

::(with apoligies to attila, who all this was NOT directed at) Tim Scanlon

        no, I didn't read it that way, Tim. thanx for the tag though!

    follow on:

        I am aware of the Dennings and their politics --and, I suspect
    like you, have no illusions that much of anything will change their
    opinions.  Like many, she (I have never met him) appears as a
    gracious, intelligent individual.

        however, she certainly is a "find" for the Clinton team (who
    appear as fascist in their approach to crypto and gun control as
    Hitler). Bubba could never have created so exquisite a spokesman...

        1935 will go down in history! For the first time a civilized
        nation has full gun registration! Our streets will be safer,
        our police more efficient, and the world will follow our
        lead in the future!
            --Adolf Hitler

    in fact, protecting free speech through cryptography is even more
    important than gun control (not much, though --they go hand-in-hand)

    ...and, Bubba is writing new history. witness the infamous question
    #46 of a very real questionnaire given to all black-shirt Marine and
    Seal units --we all _know_ these units do not exist....

            46. The U.S. government declares a ban on the possession,
            sale, transportation, and transfer of all non-sporting
            firearms. Consider the following statement:

                I would fire upon U.S. citizens who refuse or resist
                confiscation of firearms banned by the U.S. government.

    this was a survey given at USMC 29 Palms, Pendleton, LeJuene, etc.
    I was aware of the survey _before_ it was given to my son --who
    _was_ a black-shirt NCO.  The survey also included questions
    covering command and direction from UN officers on US soil, against
    our people.  The Feds tried to pass it off as someones Masters
    research  -a different person at different bases.

    Now, how does that information get passed around?  am I preaching
    to the choir, yet?

        In truth, successful dictators are usually very popular.
        Their regimes are distinguished not by silence but by
        roaring crowds and festive rallies. Benito Mussolini,
        Adolf Hitler, Juan Peron, Mao Zedong, and Fidel Castro
        all mastered the technique of amplifying their support,
        while reducing opposition to no more than private grumbles. ...
            --Tyranny Without Dictators, SOBRAN'S March 1996.

    and a made for television sorry excuse for an executive with his
    fingers on the football (which some claim has been taken away from
    him by the SS (notice the similarity in the initials) since the SS
    does not trust his cocaine violence.

        in other words, how about we spend the time productively,
    creating _intelligent_ critiques and opposition to the direct
    assault on The Bill of Rights by a pack of raving Federalists.

        it's the same old story: Adams, Hamilton, and Madison believed
    in all powerful central governments --in fact, they would have just
    as soon settled for an "American" king.  ...they became the
    "Federalists."  interesting --Jefferson, who is revered as the
    founder of the Democratic Party which opposed "Federalists," would
    not accept any responsibility for the tax and spend welfare state
    Democratic Party of today --he'd be a Conservative.

        we, and I mean all of us, who contribute the bulk of the
    "opinions" to cypherpunks gave the mainstream press the biggest
    possible hole to run straight over us, declaring us anarchists
    and wild-eyed fanatics. unless we as a group mend our ways, and
    turn out intelligent reasoning for the advance of cryptography as
    a mainstream way of life, we will be forever consigned not only to
    the dustbin, but subject to the ridicule of both the press and the
    government.

        None of us are above a little sarcasm --but let's get the
    vituperative effluent out of the system.  do whatever you wish in
    private mail, but keep the profane rantings off the list.

            this goes for you, Dimitri; and "aga" too.

        meanwhile, Ms. Denning goes on shilling for the apocalypse...

Thread