1996-12-31 - Re: Hardening lists against spam attacks

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Message Hash: 672c8ee778bcf53ca1e04505a3ac1b3c12a56be5e25974dee4ba9929af7c2473
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961231123821.9530D-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961231065434.8933C-100000@crl13.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-31 17:38:23 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 09:38:23 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 1996 09:38:23 -0800 (PST)
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Subject: Re: Hardening lists against spam attacks

On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

> There is a simple solution to keeping anonymous posters anonymous
> under this or any similar scheme.  Volunteers could act as
> "gateways" for anonymous posts.  Self-selected list members could
> announce that they would forward anonymous posts using one of
> their own tokens for the purpose.  (In the alternative, the
> gateway volunteers could be given extra tokens solely for that
> purpose.)
>
> The gateway volunteers would be a firewall against flames and
> spam attacks, but would be a conduit for substantive anonymous
> posts.  If gateway volunteers allowed inappropriate flames and
> spams through, they would have *their* tokens reduced.

Only problem is that the Vulis^H^H^H^H^Hspammer could still mail flood
the gateway dudes.  The gateway dudes should be ready for such attacks
and should be able to handle them.

Such a flood could result in a denyal of post since if you flood someone
with ten thousand random spams, then the posts worth delivering will get
lost among those.  So the gateway dudes should be competent enough to
deal with this sort of thing.

I wouldn't mind running such a gateway if it will fly and I have the time
since I already provide this sort of filtering anyway.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "If  you're  gonna die,  die  with your|./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com|boots on;  If you're  gonna  try,  just |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |stick around; Gonna cry? Just move along|\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |you're gonna die, you're gonna die!"    |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|  --Iron Maiden "Die With Your Boots on"|.....

Thread