1997-01-04 - Re: Hardening lists against spam attacks

Header Data

From: “Frank O’Dwyer” <fod@brd.ie>
To: Eric Murray <franz@netcom.com
Message Hash: 3b489a2e743bb273324fdb7f3b93a47ebb66f61f7a98a2830ae522ad003fc9ac
Message ID: <199701040151.BAA01396@toby.brd.ie>
Reply To: <199701032232.OAA24347@slack.lne.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-04 02:04:10 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 18:04:10 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Frank O'Dwyer" <fod@brd.ie>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 18:04:10 -0800 (PST)
To: Eric Murray <franz@netcom.com
Subject: Re: Hardening lists against spam attacks

> > It would be nice if each user could install filters on Majordomo itself.
> > Not only would we not need to buy Eudora Pro, but we wouldn't have to
> > pay to download messages we didn't want to read, and without having
> > to employ a moderator (censor).
>
> Bad idea.  It's tough enough on the host running a list with 1500 or
> 2000 people on it.  Adding outbound filtering for each user would
> be a real burden on the list host.  It's better to distribute the
> processing by making the user agent (or mail transport that's delivering
> to the user) do the filtering.

I guess you're not paying for your mail then :-)  Just stand back from
this for a moment -  doesn't it seem just nonsensical to have a robot
(majordomo) cranking out 10s of messages to 1000s of users, day in day
out, just for other robots (filters) to delete them?  And to pay for
the privilege?

I mean, is it really better to consume the cycles on _everybody's_
machine, _plus_ use all that bandwidth? I'd say that's not obvious.
Granted, it takes my creaking old 486 about 10 minutes for exmh to do
a filtered 'inc' on the new mail. However I have to pay the phone bills
to download all the cruft in the first place, just in order to get the
rare nugget. And I can't use my mailer while the 'inc' is running. And if
everyone else is paying and and waiting too, then maybe it turns out to
be better for the messages to be filtered centrally, so we all waste less
time and money, even if the server does heat up a little. (Hell, I might
even chip in to upgrade the list server if that's what it took, and still
save money.)

Besides, it's not necessarily true that filtering would make the server load
significantly worse (certainly not if PGP is the other option), or even
that it makes it worse at all. For example, the overhead on doing a lookup
on a short list of filtered users might well be more than offset by not
having to send the message. (Having once seen a DEC alpha brought to its
knees by 'sendmail', I can believe that...).  If processing turned
out to be a genuine problem then maybe the list could be split over
several servers. (In an ideal world, of course, the filtering agents
would be mobile, and would learn to back all the way up the pipe and
would eventually run on the spammer's machines :-)

> In addition, a filtering majordomo will only 'protect' the lists that it
> serves.  I don't know about you but I get a lot of spam from all sorts
> of different sources.  I need to have a filter anyhow.  It's not hard to
> add some more rules to filter out each lists's bozos.  It's a lot
> simpler to do that than it would be to upload filter rules to each
> of the 10 or 12 listservers I get mail from.

True, but I'd sure love not to have to download some of the cruft down
the old 28.8 line in the first place...I suppose IMAP would have the same
thing going for it but it's not here yet (plus you still have all that
list cruft that 99% of people filter or delete going up and down the
internet).

[ deletia ... The security issues you mention are real, but so are
the solutions you mention :-) ]

Cheers,
Frank O'Dwyer.

Thread