1997-01-05 - Re: Hardening lists against spam attacks

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: “Frank O’Dwyer” <fod@brd.ie>
Message Hash: aefea1794b01e685619758e90690352e90ca1a993d462a6caaa6ede24e5c7900
Message ID: <32CFED0B.6664@gte.net>
Reply To: <199701031110.LAA31173@brd.ie>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-05 18:05:21 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 10:05:21 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 10:05:21 -0800 (PST)
To: "Frank O'Dwyer" <fod@brd.ie>
Subject: Re: Hardening lists against spam attacks

Frank O'Dwyer wrote:
> > [...] the drivel that comes from some of our more prolific posters is
> > best handled by filtering by the list members themselves.  (I currently
> > have 3 of them going directly to the trash.  Perhaps aga should get
> > kickbacks from Qualcomm.  He managed to sell a copy of EudoraPro.)

> It would be nice if each user could install filters on Majordomo itself.
> Not only would we not need to buy Eudora Pro, but we wouldn't have to
> pay to download messages we didn't want to read, and without having
> to employ a moderator (censor). The most serious drawback
> I can think of is the slight loss of privacy involved in revealing
> one's filtering preferences to the server

[snip]

The most serious drawback is the precedent you'd be setting.

Thread