1996-12-22 - Re: Ebonics

Header Data

From: gt@kdn0.attnet.or.jp (Gemini Thunder)
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Message Hash: 9016874205ac486e7ceca5f89d47b5fbeefc62b8a53500fd3cca5ba986b278ce
Message ID: <32beff5f.307926014@kdn0.attnet.or.jp>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.961221144523.595B-100000@gak.voicenet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-22 09:32:49 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 01:32:49 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: gt@kdn0.attnet.or.jp (Gemini Thunder)
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 01:32:49 -0800 (PST)
To: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Ebonics

Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net> wrote:

>There's a story about the Confederate officer who, following the War For
>Southern Independence (not a true Civil War BTW), walked up the steps of
>the veterans' club and saw a Union man sitting with a tin cup, looking
>absolutely miserable with all sorts of injuries, etc.  The Southern man
>tossed a dollar into the cup, at which point the astonished Union soldier
>exclaimed "thank you, sir".  The next week at the club, the same thing
>happened, and the soldier asked "Excuse me sir, but why would a Southern
>officer such as yourself be showing so much sympathy to a Union man like
>myself?"  To which the Southern officer replied "Actually it's not that,
>it's just that you're the first Yankee I've seen that's been shot up
>to my specifications".

A minor nit on an otherwise excellent post:
I am of the understanding the proper name is "The War of Northern
Aggression". :)

Thread