1996-12-22 - Re: Ebonics

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Gemini Thunder <gt@kdn0.attnet.or.jp>
Message Hash: b4159a60f6b6388b18fba152cb94ded5508b248da673bbeb19ae7d272db3187d
Message ID: <32BD801E.127D@gte.net>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.961221144523.595B-100000@gak.voicenet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-22 18:50:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 10:50:54 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 1996 10:50:54 -0800 (PST)
To: Gemini Thunder <gt@kdn0.attnet.or.jp>
Subject: Re: Ebonics

Gemini Thunder wrote:
> Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net> wrote:
> >There's a story about the Confederate officer who, following the War For
> >Southern Independence (not a true Civil War BTW), walked up the steps of
> >the veterans' club and saw a Union man sitting with a tin cup, looking
> >absolutely miserable with all sorts of injuries, etc.  The Southern man
> >tossed a dollar into the cup, at which point the astonished Union soldier
> >exclaimed "thank you, sir".  The next week at the club, the same thing
> >happened, and the soldier asked "Excuse me sir, but why would a Southern
> >officer such as yourself be showing so much sympathy to a Union man like
> >myself?"  To which the Southern officer replied "Actually it's not that,
> >it's just that you're the first Yankee I've seen that's been shot up
> >to my specifications".

> A minor nit on an otherwise excellent post: I am of the understanding
> the proper name is "The War of Northern Aggression". :)

Yes. We use both terms, and perhaps others as well. As to the Northern
Aggression, the avalanche of propaganda after the war (and continuing
with Ken Burns' disonfo on PBS TV) was intended to "persuade" the public
that the South started the War, having "attacked" Ft. Sumter (their own
property), and having had the temerity to withdraw from the Union (their
right as free states), not to mention holding slaves (an act not made
"illegal" until 1862, i.e., a year after the war started).

Thread