1996-12-22 - Re: Ebonics

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: cadb11591f7a39aadf41496d67beab887707bcffc321aea742689b9abf23c5dd
Message ID: <m8oBZD7w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.961221155712.1265A-100000@jolietjake.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-22 06:00:35 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 22:00:35 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 22:00:35 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Ebonics

Omegaman <omega@bigeasy.com> writes:

> On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Mark Rosen wrote:
>
> > 	* You are making glaring generalizations regarding all members of an
> > ethnic body; you don't seem to realize that intellect is based not on color
> > or how you talk but on your brain (which has the same color and other basic
> > properties in all humans, I believe)
>
> That's not what was said.  He said he would not hire on the basis of a
> person's inability to speak the English language.  That has nothing
> whatsoever to do with color.    If you can't communicate with your
> co-workers, how can you expect to get any work done?

In this case you're right - ability to communicate is a bona fide occupational
qualification. But he should be able to refuse to hire them if he doesn't like
the color of their skin. Fuck the gubmint interference.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM