1996-12-14 - Re: Java DES breaker?

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: “Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM” <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Message Hash: fa06ce66776ea15d66d93da034584a505b7268a279c556db4031e3d4fa6f4585
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961214181659.29415A-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
Reply To: <9yVuyD159w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-14 23:21:56 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 15:21:56 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 1996 15:21:56 -0800 (PST)
To: "Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM" <dlv@bwalk.dm.com>
Subject: Re: Java DES breaker?

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:

> > While ActiveX does support hand optmized assembler, there are Java
> > JustInTime compilers which take JVM bytecodes and turn'em into raw
> > assembler.  They aren't hand optimized, they are natively compiled code,
> > but they are native code non the less.  A good optimizing compiler may
>
> I've seen many Forth implementations, including pseudo-compilers similar
> to what you describe. They sure generated a lot of instructions and an
> occasional speed improvement over a simple-minded interpreter.

Forth!=Java.  Test it before you speak.

> Can it go out on the web and talk to arbitrary servers?

Sure it can, you just have to let your server act as a proxy and do a bit
of work.  An applet snarfed over the net can only talk to the server.
But the server can talk to other servers.

> Can it work with local files?

Not as an applet, but as an application, sure.  Also why would you want a
DES breaker to put stuff on the client's hard drive?  It's far better in
terms of security - both for the client and for the server to store'em on
the server.

In other words, you can't be lazy.  You have to write a good server that
will handle some of the legwork, but leave the DES to the client.

> Where did the 10-25% figure come from?

Like I said - try it.

> Of course, Ray works for Earthweb, who has a "special partnership" with
> SunSoft, and gets paid to badmouth competing products and push Java when
> it's clearly inappropriate.

Or maybe Ray knows what he's talking about BECAUSE of that same
implication. :)  As for inappropriate, ActiveX is inappropriate for most
uses - any web page attachable code that when downloaded and executed can
format your hard drive is inappropriate.  Regardless of performance.

Until Microsoft secures ActiveX in it's own sandbox and doesn't allow it
to access things it shouldn't, it's not cool.

Anyhow, I will drop this topic here since it's becoming an ActiveX vs
Java religious crusade and is inappropriate.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "If  you're  gonna die,  die  with your|./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com|boots on;  If you're  gonna  try,  just |/\|/\
<--*-->| ------------------ |stick around; Gonna cry? Just move along|\/|\/
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  |you're gonna die, you're gonna die!"    |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"|  --Iron Maiden "Die With Your Boots on"|.....

Thread