1997-01-14 - Re: Newt’s phone calls

Header Data

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
To: oksas@asimov.montclair.edu (Nurdane Oksas)
Message Hash: 09d43edfdd2797f13ff424f0ad5e2f4b15cd9c397395e297a9865b03aeaa244e
Message ID: <199701141658.IAA09761@slack.lne.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SOL.3.93.970114054334.19710A-100000@pegasus.montclair.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-14 16:59:58 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 08:59:58 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 08:59:58 -0800 (PST)
To: oksas@asimov.montclair.edu (Nurdane Oksas)
Subject: Re: Newt's phone calls

Nurdane Oksas writes:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 1997, Dale Thorn wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure what crypto will do to voice transmission, but from my
> > own personal example:  I just bought two Motorola portable phones
> > (46 mhz) with Secure Clear(r) voice scrambling.  On my AOR 8000
> > scanner, it sounds to my ears like very muffled Chinese.

I have a Panasonic 46mhz portable phone that does the same.
It's a "Sound Charger Plus" with "10ch Secure Guard".  I think it
does a very simple analog operation to 'secure' voice transmissions.
Like someone else posted, it keeps Beavis and Butthead from
listening to your conversations, but that's about it.  I think
a dedicated ham, hardware-knowledgable hacker or Fed could do
a simple frequency-inversion or whatever and listen in.

> 	How much did the two cost?

This Panasonic cost about $80 from Frys.

You might get better security from one of the newer 900mhz digital phones.
Those would still be crackable but would require some digital
equipment, which is probably not yet as common.

--
Eric Murray  ericm@lne.com  ericm@motorcycle.com  http://www.lne.com/ericm
PGP keyid:E03F65E5 fingerprint:50 B0 A2 4C 7D 86 FC 03  92 E8 AC E6 7E 27 29 AF

Thread