1997-01-28 - Re: libsln.htm – Is Libel a Crime?

Header Data

From: aga <aga@dhp.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: b2e96d03ed4335e6c47ffe9f463cd11b328793b3e28c4d3c9b83ac5b140ecdb1
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970128072609.20502B-100000@dhp.com>
Reply To: <199701272217.OAA08800@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-28 12:34:44 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:34:44 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: aga <aga@dhp.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:34:44 -0800 (PST)
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: libsln.htm -- Is Libel a Crime?

On Mon, 27 Jan 1997, jim bell wrote:

> At 01:14 AM 1/27/97 -0600, ichudov@algebra.com wrote:
>
> >I am not sure if you posted this information in response to my request
> >to cite a statute that would prove that libel is a crime.

> >Me> cite the statute
> >

> >These postings do not prove that libel is a crime. It is because libel
> >is not a crime. Libel is a tort, and unlike with crime, the government
> >cannot initiate a legal action against someone for libel. Only injured
> >(libeled) individuals and not the government can sue in a libel case.
>
> On the contrary, in some jurisdictions libel is indeed a crime. However,
> that doesn't mean that prosecutions happen anymore, but the laws are (in
> some places) still  on the books.
>

> Jim Bell
> jimbell@pacifier.com

Jim, either you are full of shit or that Law is VERY
unconstitutional.  The first amendment prohibits any Criminal Laws
from being made against libel.

Being able to defame somebody is clearly within Freedom of speech.
The only thing that is illegal in this Country is any speech proposing
the killing of any President, and we can live with that.  Nothing else
is ever prohibited by the Criminal Law.

Your only remedy for defamation of any kind is a civil Lawsuit.

-DrG,Esq.
esq@pgh.org
by/aga.bot/telnet

Thread