1997-02-15 - Re: Excerpt on SPAM from Edupage, 11 February 1997

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: snow <pete@ubisg.com>
Message Hash: 7612dcbbe5018f8e0320ab8a18109315ee5c084afb64b8a5c539d2a1b0aeb329
Message ID: <199702150440.UAA04809@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:40:59 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 20:40:59 -0800 (PST)
To: snow <pete@ubisg.com>
Subject: Re: Excerpt on SPAM from Edupage, 11 February 1997

At 02:05 AM 2/14/97 -0600, snow wrote:
>Pete:
>> 	Yes, but why does monetary compensation make it then O.K.?  I'd rather
>> pay for my Internet access, then be bombarded by spam, no matter what
>> they paid me!  I think the best soln. is the one that is currently in
>> place for phone calls - they can call once, but if I tell them not to
>> call me again and they do, I can then begin legal action against them.
>> I pay more per month for my phone service than my Internet service (
>> although in NY, *everything* is more expensive. ), and junk phone calls
>> are way more intrusive then spam.
>
>	I figure if this scheme comes to fruition, I'll just set up a seperate
>account (or procmail) to filter out the spam, deposit the coin, and go on
>about my business.

That's fine...that's EXACTLY the way the system would work!  Intentionally
so!  The purpose of the payment is not because the sender feels some sort of
legal obligation to pay; rather it's analogous to a tip to a waiter.

The sender makes the payment based on however much he _wants_ you to pay
attention to his message, but fully aware that there is no guarantee that
you'll do so.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread