1997-05-16 - Re: Spam IS Free Speech

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Ross Wright <rwright@adnetsol.com>
Message Hash: 552219bc010c730025e9527dc8d4003a252a3a0b96629c3efe3806507f01de55
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970515174628.3017B-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <199705150640.XAA07531@adnetsol.adnetsol.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-16 18:14:56 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 02:14:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 02:14:56 +0800
To: Ross Wright <rwright@adnetsol.com>
Subject: Re: Spam IS Free Speech

> > > You can not retaliate against free
> > > speech, Rick.  That's a bad thing, plain and simple, black and
> > > white.

Retaliation by force against speech is wrong, more speech is not
unethical. It might be unpleasant, but not wrong.

> No shit, you just can't send 10,000 megs of info in retaliation for a
> few bits.  Really, there's no call for that.  It's wrong.

To make a brief analogy: Say you are a market researcher, and you
approach me in the street and ask for some time to answer your questions,
I do not commit any ethical wrongdoing if I stand there and scream at you
for several minutes. If I physically attack you I commit a crime.

All internet traffic is speech, including syn-ack flood attacks and any
other denial of service attempt. This is plain and simple, we have to
find technological means of thwarting these attacks, they are not
unethical, unpleasant yes, immoral no.

> >   It costs me money to download unwanted spam. What's this "free"
> > bullshit?
>
> What?  Like 80 cents per gig?  Please a bit here and a byte there
> isn't going to break anyone.  Could someone do the math?

I won`t do the math but the point is it "costs" you energy to listen to
someone speaking in the street, sure, it is a very small amount, but it
does cost energy from a strict biological point of view.
This does not lead me to believe any crime is commited by someone
speaking to, or at me.

I shaln`t repeat myself any further, no speech is a crime.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org
       Http://www.cryptography.home.ml.org/