1997-05-22 - Re: spam is a good thing (was Re: Spam IS Free Speech)

Header Data

From: “Willaim H. Geiger III” <whgiii@amaranth.com>
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Message Hash: 63073bd54c4cc36790974ce9432fb88c7eee162451852b72cf7f8141862b8151
Message ID: <199705221850.NAA17774@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Reply To: <v03020934afaa29712cbc@[139.167.130.248]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-22 19:08:59 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 03:08:59 +0800

Raw message

From: "Willaim H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 03:08:59 +0800
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Subject: Re: spam is a good thing (was Re: Spam IS Free Speech)

In <v03020934afaa29712cbc@[139.167.130.248]>, on 05/22/97
   at 10:53 AM, Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com> said:

>At 10:13 am -0400 on 5/22/97, Willaim H. Geiger III wrote:

>> Bullshit! No metering of accounts is required. All that needs to be done
>> is blocking of all mail from Spamford's sites.

>As someone who has something on the order of 15 Eudora filters just for
>Spamford himself (go take a look at whois for cyberpromo to see how
>domains he has registered), this is easier said than done. I've taken to
>killing his ip blocks, but that gets a lot of sites, TidBITS among them,
>in the crossfire. You end up filtering *in* people who you want to see
>mail from, which is an interesting logical conundrum...

I actually do this for all aol, compuserver, prodigy accounts. I only
filter in the few accounts that I wish to correspond with and the rest go
into the bit bucket.

>I'm in favor of creating digital bearer certificate postage stamps,
>myself. Don't care who sends me unsolicited e-mail, as long as they have
>to pay, preferrably through the nose, for the privilege...

My biggest concern with the pay as you go approach is 2 fold:

1. It woun't stop Spamford and his ilk as they are the ones who have the
$$$ to spend.

2. Once the jennie is out of the bottle you will see everyone's cost go up
as everyone will see this as a way to get a peice of the action. If the
INet goes mettered rate the only ones who can afford to spend any time on
it will be the corporations who have the money to spend. I remember when I
had a compu$erver account years ago and how fast the tab ran up as
everything had a charge on it. It was cheaper to stick with BBS's & FIDO
and pay the long distance charges when needed.

If given the choice between 2 evils of receiving Spamford Cyber-momo's
crap or going to a mettered rate INet I chose Spamford as the second will
not get rid of him.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii

Finger whgiii@amaranth.com for PGP Key and other info

Tag-O-Matic: What I like about MS is its loyalty to customers!

Thread