1997-05-22 - Re: spam is a good thing (was Re: Spam IS Free Speech)

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Message Hash: 8f2bcab4f1fc23d572734e352575eaf511a6704d1512fd5f71d658a46ae46b38
Message ID: <v03020934afaa29712cbc@[139.167.130.248]>
Reply To: <199705221337.OAA00948@server.test.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-22 17:40:11 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 01:40:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 01:40:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Subject: Re: spam is a good thing (was Re: Spam IS Free Speech)

At 10:13 am -0400 on 5/22/97, Willaim H. Geiger III wrote:

> Bullshit! No metering of accounts is required. All that needs to be done
> is blocking of all mail from Spamford's sites.

As someone who has something on the order of 15 Eudora filters just for
Spamford himself (go take a look at whois for cyberpromo to see how domains
he has registered), this is easier said than done. I've taken to killing
his ip blocks, but that gets a lot of sites, TidBITS among them, in the
crossfire. You end up filtering *in* people who you want to see mail from,
which is an interesting logical conundrum...

I'm in favor of creating digital bearer certificate postage stamps, myself.
Don't care who sends me unsolicited e-mail, as long as they have to pay,
preferrably through the nose, for the privilege...

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com), Philodox
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
The e$ Home Page: http://www.shipwright.com/

Thread