1997-05-14 - Re: The Interlinked Cypherpunks Lists? (fwd)

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: tcmay@got.net (Tim May)
Message Hash: cdfbfcf471344433f79e7795e014bc82ee8f75478e43beee4016a64c22dd9bbe
Message ID: <199705140227.VAA18280@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <v03007805af9ed5fd9760@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-14 02:38:12 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 10:38:12 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 10:38:12 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Tim May)
Subject: Re: The Interlinked Cypherpunks Lists? (fwd)

Tim May wrote:

> >>send a
> >
> >Sounds like time to start another list subscribed to the existing nodes
> >and offer such services to the subscribers at the operators whim.
> >
> >I oppose any action which would force the list to become more 'cooperative'
> >in the sense that each node operator would be forced (sorta anti-cpunks I
> >believe) to comply with some set of scripts and such they didn't develop in
>
> I wasn't advocating either:
>
> a) any "forcing" of anything
>
> b) any compliance with scripts, cooperation, etc.
>
> Instead, imagine this "service":
>
> - a distribution point (= list) which subscribes to all of the various
> lists (cyberpass, algebra, ssz, etc.)
>
> - it sends out to subscribers the first instance of any message it receives
>
> - duplicates (see discussion below) would not be sent
>
> - it would, ideally, be on a robust machine
>
> The "duplicates" issue has been discussed by others. Even if message IDs
> are not enough to find duplicates--someone reported that the same message
> from algebra and cyberpass have different IDs--I would think that using the
> sender, message title, and date of origin ought to be more than enough to
> spot duplicates.

Tim, what you are proposing is no different from any other cypherpunks
node. So if you suggest to add more nodes, I am all for it.

What you describe above is precisely what algebra, cyberpass, and
ssz.com do now.

It is not a "just another service" as you suggest below, it is
exactly the same service, but on a new node.

Actually, I think that it is important to add one more node to the
network: ssz.com has mail delivery problems and the two more or less
reliable nodes are cyberpass and algebra. I do not see it as *sufficiently*
robust, since the probability of both of them being down is on the
order of 0.5%.

> No, this is just another filtering service, one designed to collect
> messages from as many inputs as possible and send them out, without
> duplicates.

> "Get a life." What an original insult.

> Reminds me why you usually reside in my filter file, Jim. Back in it you go.

Tim, if you read what goes into your filter file, putting anyone there
does not mean that you ignore them.

	- Igor.

Thread