1997-05-14 - Re: The Interlinked Cypherpunks Lists? (fwd)

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Message Hash: fed6919842314c64bf7b77629a872be2f37d43bdbaca126b23637a114099163c
Message ID: <v03007805af9ed5fd9760@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <199705140034.TAA23384@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-14 02:02:31 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 10:02:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 10:02:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@algebra.com
Subject: Re: The Interlinked Cypherpunks Lists? (fwd)

At 4:34 PM -0800 5/13/97, Jim Choate wrote:

>> > * Is it possible for the interlinked lists to send out announcements of
>> > list problems to subscriber of all such lists? (Each list owner could do a
>> > periodic "who cypherpunks" of the other lists, then use this list to
>>send a
>> > message if a problem comes up. More sophisticated cross-processing could
>> > eliminate duplicates, etc.)
>
>Sounds like time to start another list subscribed to the existing nodes
>and offer such services to the subscribers at the operators whim.
>
>I oppose any action which would force the list to become more 'cooperative'
>in the sense that each node operator would be forced (sorta anti-cpunks I
>believe) to comply with some set of scripts and such they didn't develop in

I wasn't advocating either:

a) any "forcing" of anything

b) any compliance with scripts, cooperation, etc.

Instead, imagine this "service":

- a distribution point (= list) which subscribes to all of the various
lists (cyberpass, algebra, ssz, etc.)

- it sends out to subscribers the first instance of any message it receives

- duplicates (see discussion below) would not be sent

- it would, ideally, be on a robust machine

The "duplicates" issue has been discussed by others. Even if message IDs
are not enough to find duplicates--someone reported that the same message
from algebra and cyberpass have different IDs--I would think that using the
sender, message title, and date of origin ought to be more than enough to
spot duplicates.

Thus, the message "Re: The Interlinked Cypherpunks Lists? (fwd), 4:34 PM
-0800 5/13/97, Jim Choate" should be unique.

>Now some of you are going to say that this is taking it to extremes. That
>what is being proposed is a good thing and not something that could be used
>to 'manipulate' the lists. The road to hell is paved with good intentions,
>and the guy driving the paving truck only wants to help you (as he paves
>your petunia's).

No, this is just another filtering service, one designed to collect
messages from as many inputs as possible and send them out, without
duplicates.

>> > * Alternatively, if one of the sites goes down, such as
>> > "cypherpunks@cyberpass.net" seems to have done, could the other sites
>> > automagically pick up the task of distributing articles until the site
>> > comes back up?
>
>This again is anti-cpunks, it forces a level of cooperation and information
>sharing that is in direct opposition to beliefs in anonymity and privacy.
>I don't want it known who is subscribed to lists through SSZ, in short:
>It isn't any of your damn business and quit asking.

No one has ever said you, or SSZ, or anyone, has to participate.

>Solution? Get a life or start an archive site.

"Get a life." What an original insult.

Reminds me why you usually reside in my filter file, Jim. Back in it you go.

--TCM