1997-06-14 - Re: There’s no general right to privacy – get over it, from Netly

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4f8b26855f4264083148e3d890e93fe7106989ad6992fcb698e36383f57b7c5d
Message ID: <m6F08D118w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <97Jun13.142726edt.32257@brickwall.ceddec.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-14 00:12:11 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 08:12:11 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 08:12:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: There's no general right to privacy -- get over it, from Netly

tzeruch@ceddec.com writes:

> On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
> > Get a clue. I did:
> >
> >         Of course there's an essential right to privacy from the
> >    government. (Beware government databases: Nazis used census data in
> >    Germany and Holland to track down and eliminate undesirables.)
>
> Today the Nazi's would simply pay Experian (was TRW) for their databases.
> I think the IRS already does.

Why do you need to bring up the Nazis when the U.S. Gubmint used its own Census
data to round up Americans of Japanese descent (who said so on their Census
forms) and to intern them in concentration camps.

> Private databases collect a lot of data that I am not asked about, or from
> government, or that I am required to turn over (e.g. Government requires a
> taxpayer ID number to open a bank account, so I can't shop for a bank that
> offers privacy as an option, but they will then turn around and give the
> information to the databasers).

Good news: no sane bank gives its client info to the databasers.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM