1997-06-08 - Re: Responses to “Spam costs and questions” (long)

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 67432ab9b8be366c156fcde2b3d058f5be8c24dd6b338fba31d820ed3b9acbfe
Message ID: <caNZ8D36w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199706081538.KAA04719@mailhub.amaranth.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-08 16:47:53 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 00:47:53 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 00:47:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Responses to "Spam costs and questions" (long)

"William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com> writes:
> <sigh> Ofcource what I say in a contract is "free". I can say anything I
> want in a contract solong as the parties involved agree.

Are ads a part of the contract, though?

> What is controled is my actions not my speech. If I enter into a
> "contract" to provide borshch on the promise that it will cure your cancer
> *knowing* that it will not then I am guilty of fraud. This fraud is caused
> by my not honoring the contract. The government does not have a right to
> restrict my speech in a contract only as an arbitrator of contracts do
> they have a right to restrict my actions (ie: that I live up to the
> conditions of the contract).

If I enter into a sales contract with Kent to give him borsch to cure
his cancer, and this is not an FDA-approved treatment, then this contract
is against public policy and shouldn't be enforceable. :-)

But to convict me of fraud, the gubmint should prove that borshch doesn't
cure cancer.  How would one prove that?

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM