1997-07-23 - Re: Fight-each-other

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Jeff Barber <jeffb@issl.atl.hp.com>
Message Hash: 105f1863356dc18b13ad0c55a70f936f0b60dd9fe58f8c240b9bed6d8ee5a7e1
Message ID: <v03007809affc1e98832d@[168.161.105.191]>
Reply To: <97Jul22.220455edt.32257@brickwall.ceddec.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-23 21:02:24 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 05:02:24 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 05:02:24 +0800
To: Jeff Barber <jeffb@issl.atl.hp.com>
Subject: Re: Fight-each-other

At 10:06 -0400 7/23/97, Jeff Barber wrote:

>An implicit threat to use government to regulate the industry.
>
>I could do the same thing with the Progress and Freedom Foundation
>or the National Empowerment TV group you mentioned, but what's the
>point?  These people are not libertarians!  And grouping them into
>something called the "leave-us-alone" coalition is a fraud.

PFF would like to be more libertarian than conservative, though they've
been quieter recently after many of their staff members left. I'm thinking
of going to their Aspen conference next month, but I hear that it's been
going downhill.

I've been on National Empowerment TV a few times, and they're hardcore
conservatives, not libertarians. The Family Research Council's Cathy
Cleaver has her own show on there where she rants about how we need more
government censorship of the Net.

-Declan

Declan McCullagh
Time Inc.