1997-07-22 - Re: Fight-each-other

Header Data

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@issl.atl.hp.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net (Cypherpunks List)
Message Hash: 9003e6140b5d3b4830d7a69682315a3bfef3adf9780dd39a4e62bd9f44533eb9
Message ID: <199707221715.NAA30596@jafar.issl.atl.hp.com>
Reply To: <97Jul22.110332edt.32258@brickwall.ceddec.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-22 17:10:17 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 01:10:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Jeff Barber <jeffb@issl.atl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 01:10:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net (Cypherpunks List)
Subject: Re: Fight-each-other

Mismatched NFS IDs writes:

> I think something more is going on, at least with the "conserative
> movement", but I also watch National Empowerment Television :).
>
> Grover Norquist has coined the term "The Leave-us-alone Coalition" that
> simply wants the government out of everything they have no constitutional
> authority to be in.  They perceive government as an intrinsic evil and the
> only thing that should be done is to slay the dragon.  I would number
> Eagle Forum and the Progress and Freedom Foundation in this group.

Sure, *they* want to be left alone, but I wouldn't trust these
groups to leave the rest of us alone.  They'll want to make sure
that we're not ingesting any controlled substances, and that we're
not shacking up with an unmarried partner, and that we're not peeking
at porn or engaging in "abnormal" sexual practices, and that we pray
to the right god at the right time, and so forth.  These groups are
not friends of liberty.  Like the traditional "liberals", they seek
not so much to slay the dragon as to replace it with their own.  If
they currently happen to agree with "us" on net issues, fine.
Otherwise, give me true libertarians anyday.

[snip]
> The first group are deserting the Republican party as such in droves (look
> for a Libertarian party pickup if the party avoids being too libertine).

Hah!  Can anyone imagine the Libertarians supporting an Anti-abortion
amendment, or a school prayer amendment or a flag-burning amendment?
No, I don't think these folks will be joining the Libertarian party
anytime soon.

-- Jeff

Thread