1997-07-07 - Re: Hack the Mars rover

Header Data

From: “Paul H. Merrill” <paulmerrill@acm.org>
To: Ryan Anderson <randerso@ece.eng.wayne.edu>
Message Hash: 9fd0a4f72cee3ca38157aa3b64400d51025b686b32a44483d2d50449eb91cb31
Message ID: <33C16E41.6270@acm.org>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970707125426.8366B-100000@ece>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-07 19:43:16 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 03:43:16 +0800

Raw message

From: "Paul H. Merrill" <paulmerrill@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 03:43:16 +0800
To: Ryan Anderson <randerso@ece.eng.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: Hack the Mars rover

Ryan Anderson wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Paul H. Merrill wrote:
>
> > The appropriate question is how much encryption (and other security) is
> > needed if interrupting the traffic causes the loss of a great deal of
> > money and difficult (if possible at all) fixes.  This is the mindset of
> > the Fed security wienies when specifying and designing; thus it must be
> > the mindset of the non-Fed Wienie looking to crack.
>
> Well, if it matters any, my initial impression was that this discussion
> was based upon taking over the rover, not necessarily upon just performing
> a DoS attack on it.  Frankly, I can't see a point to a DoS attack...
> taking it over, on the other hand could be fun..

> Ryan Anderson - <Pug Majere>     "Who knows, even the horse might sing"
> Wayne State University - CULMA   "May you live in interesting times.."
> randerso@ece.eng.wayne.edu                        Ohio = VYI of the USA
> PGP Fingerprint - 7E 8E C6 54 96 AC D9 57  E4 F8 AE 9C 10 7E 78 C9
Picture breaking the Rover -- How many Earthly JoyRides end in Wrecks?
Picture "Finding an undocumented feature" which causes it to cease and
desist.
Picture the simple lost time on target for the mission.

Each of these and a bunch more goes into the "cost of takeover" for the
equation.  In short, of course it is encrypted.

DISCLAIMER:  Never said it, never meant it, and I apologize to anyone
who got the impression I was speaking as thpough others were theorizing
on simple break the rich kid's toys escapades.

PHM
Paul H. Merrill                Merlyn Enterprises
paulmerrill@acm.org
I have no opinions (just facts)
    so it doesn't matter what my employer thinks.

Thread