1997-07-20 - Re: IRS sending warning notes, violating ECPA?

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: c7d22ddea9f0164618202bef609b2662c6f514fffda9cec8f2dfedb1e95b17b3
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970720145056.20201D-100000@cp.pathfinder.com>
Reply To: <v03102810aff69260ceb1@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-07-20 18:59:22 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:59:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:59:22 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: IRS sending warning notes, violating ECPA?

Of course, the P.Dilemma is a particularly academic invention. In real
situations, the prisoners probably know each other and know of each
other's reputation capital. They may be known not to squeal, for instance,
which is why they chose to commit the crime together. And confessing might
have other repercussions later on in life...

-Declan

On Sat, 19 Jul 1997, Tim May wrote:

> On the other hand, the relevance to Prisoner's Dilemma games is pretty obvious:
>
> "Mr. Bell, if you confess and plead guilty, you'll receive a one-year
> prison term. If you don't confess, when we find you guilty you'll receive
> the maximum term. If you confess but Mr. May _also_ confesses, you'll still
> receive the maximum term. If neither of you confesses, you'll still be
> found guilty. So, what'll it be?"

Thread