1997-08-14 - Re: Hypothetical situation for networks

Header Data

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: a0dd0a7164c789c9e4ddbb66df2f8d237ce069ff5a768aa03f60d3625a5f4067
Message ID: <199708142312.BAA09035@basement.replay.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.96.970814113451.21579G-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-08-14 23:29:50 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:29:50 +0800

Raw message

From: nobody@REPLAY.COM (Anonymous)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:29:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Hypothetical situation for networks

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Ray Arachelian wrote:

> > OS doesn't really matter, as it is a hypothetical system, but we'll assume
> > either some form of unix/linux, or perhaps winNT or novell NetWare.
>
> Can NFS under solaris or linux be tunneled through SSH?  That would seem
> feasable (that is if you can get SSH to tunnel a UDP...)

I think SSH will not tunnel UDP, and TCP NFS for Linux and Solaris (?) is
not reliable.  I would lean towards SSH in rcp-style mode: for a
continent-wide link you will probably find the performance of batch-style
transfers more enjoyable than that of a remote file system system.  SSH
also very neatly lets you run remote commands and so on.  (Enough,
already...)

> If not, you
> could use microsoft's PPTP, but I wouldn't trust its cyphers.

Don't touch it.

::Boots

Thread