1997-08-14 - Hypothetical situation for networks

Header Data

From: Mike Jones <Mkljones@cris.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f2decd7e9f9968c9855f384d52cad84ef67690ce4566154214a7f0ccb543e40e
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.96.970813213346.8665A-100000@mariner.cris.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:08:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Mike Jones <Mkljones@cris.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 10:08:04 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Hypothetical situation for networks

This is a 100% hypothetical situation, though would be interesting to see
if it is possible.

A company does some R&D work, which it wishes to keep classified from
competitors.

However, they have two main offices on opposite sides of the country.

Not wishing to use sneakernet type file transfer, they wish to pass
confidential material from one network to the other using the Internet.

Now we all know that anyone with a little bit of knowledge can intercept
the packets as they go past and read the information.

Email is out, as they do use a system of file mirroring, keeping each set
of data as a backup as well as for usage.

Would make sense for them to use a type of NFS system, but is there an
implimentation of secure (ie: encrypted) NFS available?

OS doesn't really matter, as it is a hypothetical system, but we'll assume
either some form of unix/linux, or perhaps winNT or novell NetWare.

Thanks in advance for the info and knowledge...sorry if it's been asked
before.

--
Mike Jones -- CNA, CNE, pursueing MCNE and MCSE currently.
email: Mkljones@cris.com

	"They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
	Between stars--on stars where no human race is
	I have it in me so much nearer home
	To scare myself with my own desert places."

Thread