1997-10-24 - Re: PRZ Announcement

Header Data

From: Philip Zimmermann <prz@pgp.com>
To: Randall Farmer <rfarmer@HiWAAY.net>
Message Hash: b979a43e48232c5ac411e80c961f68fe530bc56d65d3fb03ada7ec27c1ab00fc
Message ID: <v03007803b07693549878@[205.180.136.41]>
Reply To: <344FEE15.673F@pgp.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-10-24 18:19:46 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 02:19:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Philip Zimmermann <prz@pgp.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 02:19:46 +0800
To: Randall Farmer <rfarmer@HiWAAY.net>
Subject: Re: PRZ Announcement

In my last message to this list, I pointed out that my name is spelled
Philip.  I neglected to point out that I also did not write the message
allegedly from me (or from Phillip).  This is why that for signed messages,
we need to make sure that the signing key is properly signed by trusted
introducers.  --prz

At 8:44 PM -0500 10/23/97, Randall Farmer wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, there's no way in nine hells that Phillip R. Zimmermann
>could have wrote:
>>   However, I have reassessed my views of who truly has a right
>> to control access to privacy and have come to the conclusion
>> that privacy is too important an issue to be left in the hands
>> of the individual, with the obvious potential for misuse.
>
>Hmm...I haven't checked any signatures or headers yet, but something tells me
>that this ain't PRZ. For example, the Organization: header refers to Orwell's
>1984 as a "blueprint"...forget the signatures (just got a message saying they
>match -- either that person's lying, "they" cracked his key, or it's some
>detail that has the program using a different key/ignoring some text), it is
>psychologically impossible for someone to go from privacy advocate to
>1984-as-a-blueprint that quick.

>Randall Farmer
>    rfarmer@hiwaay.net
>    http://hiwaay.net/~rfarmer