1997-12-30 - Re: Why I Support Microsoft

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7c95eef06b7788de10a62fa11db02475df7fa086342c292b20479920f9773d2d
Message ID: <TFaiie54w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <3.0.3.32.19971229065217.00a2b1b0@shell9.ba.best.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-30 04:37:58 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:37:58 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 12:37:58 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Why I Support Microsoft

landon dyer <landon@best.com> writes:

> At 03:47 AM 12/29/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >
> >  [lots of linux-vs-microsoft stuff deleted, then:]
> >
> >     - The third party market for Linux software would grow rapidly
> >       and enormously.
> >     - The government's software budget would be reduced dramatically.
> >
> >I consider both of these to be Good Things (tm).  The government
> >wouldn't be forcing anything at the point of a gun, they'd simply be
> >making a financially responsible vendor selection (hey, there's a
> >first time for everything).  Our tax dollars shouldn't be wasted on
> >substandard software when superior, cheaper alternatives exist.
>

>   i haven't touched unix or linux in a long time, but i submit that
> your ordinary GS-4 secretary can deal with microsoft word a lot more
> efficiently than s/he can deal with vi/emacs/latex.  i assume there are
> better tools available on *ix platforms these days, which actually
> destroys my argument:
>
>   do you really want the government to be more efficient?  :-)

This has no bloody crypto relevance, but the Applix word processor is
just as easy to use as Microsoft Word. (And somebody should write a
better free clone of MS Word as a student project.)

Moreover I've some extremely stupid people successfully trained to
use (character-mode) Wordperfect.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM