1997-12-29 - Re: Why I Support Microsoft

Header Data

From: landon dyer <landon@best.com>
To: Patrick May <pjm@spe.com>
Message Hash: 9355b110550c607edfac4225247bed5f7035671eee4ac500d7ea73418dd91968
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19971229065217.00a2b1b0@shell9.ba.best.com>
Reply To: <v03102801b0cc797c0c9d@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-29 14:58:16 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 22:58:16 +0800

Raw message

From: landon dyer <landon@best.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 22:58:16 +0800
To: Patrick May <pjm@spe.com>
Subject: Re: Why I Support Microsoft

At 03:47 AM 12/29/97 -0800, you wrote:

>  [lots of linux-vs-microsoft stuff deleted, then:]
>
>     - The third party market for Linux software would grow rapidly
>       and enormously.
>     - The government's software budget would be reduced dramatically.
>
>I consider both of these to be Good Things (tm).  The government
>wouldn't be forcing anything at the point of a gun, they'd simply be
>making a financially responsible vendor selection (hey, there's a
>first time for everything).  Our tax dollars shouldn't be wasted on
>substandard software when superior, cheaper alternatives exist.

  i haven't touched unix or linux in a long time, but i submit that
your ordinary GS-4 secretary can deal with microsoft word a lot more
efficiently than s/he can deal with vi/emacs/latex.  i assume there are
better tools available on *ix platforms these days, which actually
destroys my argument:

  do you really want the government to be more efficient?  :-)

peace,

-landon

Thread