1997-12-23 - Re: C2net bashers… well let’s hear it

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Message Hash: 95fe99393c3d1a14fad1e0b48adbd096b7f087d1e830e6d98c6894f98626f12c
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.971223140651.3905A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <199712221932.TAA00384@server.eternity.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-23 15:02:43 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 23:02:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 23:02:43 +0800
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: C2net bashers... well let's hear it

> Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk> writes:
> > Yes, those on the list a few months ago [...] will remember
> > censorous arab Sameer Parekh for sending abusive mail threatening
> > legal action to those who criticised the security of his companies
> > "stronghold" firewall,
>
> Stronghold is a web-server, not a firewall.

My mistake, memory fails under the influence of alcohol.

> > which I among others suspect to contain govt. backdoors,
>
> Would you or Dimitri care to be more specific?

Not really, This was just flamebait, I have no strong opinion one way or
the other about stronghold, and have never looked at the product.

> (Yes we know about the legal threats Dimitri received, personally I
> consider this is a mistake on C2Net's part).

This is the sole reason I have a low opinion of C2Net, hardly a reason to
suspect their products are insecure you might say, but certainly a valid
reason to treat their products with caution, as it shows a censorous
trait in the company.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org