1998-08-06 - Noise source processing

Header Data

From: mgraffam@mhv.net
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4e5ccc6cd642663ae9492be910463556b5c83cfbcba9db770f362162351d932e
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.96.980805210406.11770A-100000@albert>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:23:29 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: mgraffam@mhv.net
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 18:23:29 -0700 (PDT)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Noise source processing

Hello all..

After a little bit of work I have put together a white noise source
(hacked FM reciever, heavily shielded to reduce local EMR bias) and
have it jacked into a mic port on one of my machines. I would like
to develop of bit of code (oh, horror :) to take bits from the sound
card, and bits from /dev/random, and mix them together to get a
random number stream.

The noise coming off of the sound card is more beige than white though..

Does anyone know of any papers, articles or whatever on good techniques to
remove bias from the audio source?

My initial thoughts are along the lines of just hashing everything, but
this will be slow, and I'd like to see what other ideas are out there.

Michael J. Graffam (mgraffam@mhv.net)
http://www.mhv.net/~mgraffam -- Philosophy, Religion, Computers, Crypto, etc
"Let your life be a counter-friction to stop the machine."
			Henry David Thoreau "Civil Disobedience"

Thread