1998-09-09 - RE: radio net (fwd)

Header Data

From: Matt Elliott <melliott@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
To: “Cypherpunks (E-mail)” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: e51152db6f34e9200df4bc956cfdaab61a0a66d37819c2f7d0fe5534185208cd
Message ID: <v0402050bb21ca10effac@[141.142.103.240]>
Reply To: <33CCFE438B9DD01192E800A024C84A19284623@mossbay.chaffeyhomes.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-09 08:24:44 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:24:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Matt Elliott <melliott@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 16:24:44 +0800
To: "Cypherpunks (E-mail)" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: RE: radio net (fwd)

Pig Latin or even the old 10 codes as in 10-4 are against the amateur
rules.  The only allowed code scheme is morse code and Q codes.  Both are
clasified as a well defined language.  Using english and having a
conversation that means something other than the standard usage is also
prohibited.  If you don't like it then stick to CB-Radio.  At least that is
the FCC's position.

>So much for "no domestic crypto restrictions." I really hate when people
>say that, there are plenty, and export restrictions on cryptography
>software and cryptography in software DOES indirectly but substantially
>affect the availability and cost of domestic encryption, not to mention
>that most people download export-grade crypto from the web for
>convenience.
>
>Isn't there a similar ban on encryption-capable telephones and other
>electronic devices (other than computers).
>
>	Matt
>

>> > The FCC prohibits the transmission of encrypted data via
>> > analog or digital signals by amateurs.

Matt <mailto:melliott@itmail.ncsa.uiuc.edu>

Thread