1998-10-07 - Re: Web TV with 128b exported

Header Data

From: David Honig <honig@sprynet.com>
To: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@invweb.net>
Message Hash: 222061e83288156f5af4d82b82e92be20b6dad104c40087f340cf3ddf4fd7e07
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19981007090445.008903c0@m7.sprynet.com>
Reply To: <3.0.5.32.19981006110801.0088a430@m7.sprynet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-07 17:29:02 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 01:29:02 +0800

Raw message

From: David Honig <honig@sprynet.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 01:29:02 +0800
To: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net>
Subject: Re: Web TV with 128b exported

At 04:32 PM 10/6/98 -0500, William H. Geiger III wrote:
>   at 11:08 AM, David Honig <honig@sprynet.com> said:
>>The WebTV(TM) Network service, combined with the WebTV-based Internet
>>terminals and receivers, is the first communications system permitted by
>>the U.S. government to provide strong encryption for general use by
>>non-U.S. citizens in Japan and the United Kingdom. Such strong encryption
>>allows Japanese and United Kingdom subscribers of WebTV to communicate
>>through the WebTV Network (both within national borders and
>>internationally) without fear of interception by unauthorized parties.
>
>I have my doubts on this. I find it highly unlikely that the FEDs would
>approve this without some form of GAK built in even if it is not in the
>form of "key recovery".

I'd guess that the Export control puppets know that the Web-TV hubs will
be subpoena-able by the US even in these other "sovereign" nations.
The WebTV centralized infrastructure makes this easy.

Thread