1998-10-08 - Re: Web TV with 128b exported

Header Data

From: Petro <petro@playboy.com>
To: Steve Bryan <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2692670cdbcca014c6d9e9f7eef3c78563e5e0aa3e9caa99334a0a2d11eb81da
Message ID: <v04011703b242b48621e3@[206.189.103.230]>
Reply To: <3.0.5.32.19981007090445.008903c0@m7.sprynet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-08 19:11:14 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 03:11:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Petro <petro@playboy.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 03:11:14 +0800
To: Steve Bryan <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Web TV with 128b exported

At 2:39 PM -0500 10/7/98, Steve Bryan wrote:
>David Honig wrote:
>
>>I'd guess that the Export control puppets know that the Web-TV hubs will
>>be subpoena-able by the US even in these other "sovereign" nations.
>>The WebTV centralized infrastructure makes this easy.
>
>This announcement seems to be getting a lot of this sort of reaction but I
>don't see quite why the news is greeted with such animosity. If a duly
>authorized search warrant is required in order to obtain information that
>represents a potential world of difference from having unrestricted ability
>to monitor all communications.

	Because there are no (or fewer) *technical* barriers to getting the
information, it introduces weakness into the system.
--
"To sum up: The entire structure of antitrust statutes in this country is a
jumble of economic irrationality and ignorance. It is a product: (a) of a

Petro::E-Commerce Adminstrator::Playboy Ent.
Inc.::petro@playboy.com::petro@bounty.org

Thread