1994-03-30 - Re: Crypto and new computing strategies

Header Data

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Message Hash: a18c82eb194ad3f8ed977b4f8e212e23b7eb9d86d113cd7cc28bf03a01eda004
Message ID: <199403302039.AA07880@zoom.bga.com>
Reply To: <9403301800.AA19557@vail.tivoli.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-03-30 20:39:29 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 12:39:29 PST

Raw message

From: Jim choate <ravage@bga.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 94 12:39:29 PST
To: m5@vail.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Subject: Re: Crypto and new computing strategies

> Jim choate writes:
>  > The problem w/ the whole N - NP approach
>
> P - NP
>
>  >                                            is that is assumes that the QM
>  > model behaves as we would expect it to, it doesn't. I think this is one of
>  > those assumptions that are better left un-made. I have worked w/ enough QM
>  > projects throug UT and Discovery Hall (Dr. Turner and Dr. Prigogine) that
>  > I am not comfortable assuming the QM world even cares about the N or NP
>  > issues we are debating.
>
> It sounds as if you're claiming that mathematics as we know it does
> not apply when dealing with quantum effects.  I suggest that this is a
> strong statement, and I add that I see no reason to believe it.  At
> the same time, I'm neither a mathematician or a physicist.
>
> --
> | GOOD TIME FOR MOVIE - GOING ||| Mike McNally <m5@tivoli.com>       |
> | TAKE TWA TO CAIRO.          ||| Tivoli Systems, Austin, TX:        |
> |     (actual fortune cookie) ||| "Like A Little Bit of Semi-Heaven" |

Mathematics as you and I use to solve most real-world problem don't always
work w/ quantum mechanics. It is one of the problems w/ this field.

I am not a physicist but am trying to go to school and get a degree in it.

Thread