1994-07-26 - more forward secrecy

Header Data

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 8561a2376768632897b9c89edd5b567ceab068aef1c7581b65828b949a5752ea
Message ID: <9407261722.AA05924@ah.com>
Reply To: <199407260652.XAA14458@netcom8.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1994-07-26 17:44:02 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 10:44:02 PDT

Raw message

From: hughes@ah.com (Eric Hughes)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 10:44:02 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: more forward secrecy

   But I leave nearly all PGP-encrypted messages to me in encrypted form,
   using the "decrypt to screen" option. So communicated and stored
   messages are largely the same.

This is exactly the situation I referred to yesterday.  It's extremely
common, I suspect.  Tim does it, I do it, and I've no reason to
believe that most people do it differently.

Keeping the messages around encrypted with your private key does _not_
have forward secrecy.  Forward secrecy is a valuable property, and it
behooves us to think about how to achieve it.

Eric

Thread