1995-01-11 - Re: Storm Signals

Header Data

From: skaplin@mirage.skypoint.com (Samuel Kaplin)
To: “L. McCarthy” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e8171b5325d7d10cf2f9f864af5061afc339850a08a33d9627645bff6bc4f380
Message ID: <WHw4lKjqRq69077yn@mirage.skypoint.com>
Reply To: <199501110842.DAA07468@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-11 09:59:51 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 01:59:51 PST

Raw message

From: skaplin@mirage.skypoint.com (Samuel Kaplin)
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 95 01:59:51 PST
To: "L. McCarthy" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Storm Signals

In article <199501110842.DAA07468@bb.hks.net>, you wrote:
> Sam Kaplin writes:

> > Perhaps Bosnia?
>
> I doubt it. The only sort of Bosnian engagement that might make sense would
> involve a fairly conspicuous effort with a large number of troops. I can't
> see what a few thousand Green Berets could accomplish there.
>
> Frankly, I'm quite puzzled by these signs. I can't think of any country that
> seems due for a quick invasion by the USG, but the increase in granularity of
> the GPS information suggests an operation of greater magnitude than just a
> strike against terrorists, drug cartels etc.
>
> Is it time for Bay of Pigs II already ?  ;)

Perhaps it is two unrelated events. Maybe the Russians are using GPS in
their attack on Chechnya, and the administration decided "Not on our dime."

The call up could possibly be related to the repatriacion of the Hatian
boat people or even a continued presence in Hatii. I think Atistede still
needs lots of proping up. The Ton-Ton Macoutes, from Baby Doc and Papa
Doc's dictatorship were the police and military of the previous one. They
just vanished into the population. Its almost the perfect guerilla force,
just the thing the berets are into. This would be much more likely if the
individual was of African decent. From what I have heard, prior to any
military action in Hatii, we had a sizable force of Special Forces, Green
Berets and other elete troops in place. Most of them were black. This was
because they blended in with the populace. Perhaps the forces on the ground
needed to be rotated and personnel came up short. I don't know...but if it
is anything we, should find out real soon.

Manditory crypto thought...I wonder if the government has taken any steps
to prevent the INTERNET from being used for C3 functions, like it was used
during the gulf war by Iraq. (I know...I know...pretty weak, but the
communications has to have been encrypted. :) )

Sam

BTW-You always do this to me Louis...I was just going to go to bed, and
boom I'm up another hour. Grrrrrrrrrrr ;)
- --
skaplin@skypoint.com                   | Finger skaplin@infinity.c2.org for
                                       | a listing of crypto related files
PGP encrypted mail is accepted and     | available on my auto-responder.
preferred.                             | (Yes...the faqs are there!)

E-mail key@four11.com for PGP Key or   | "...vidi vici veni" - Overheard
Finger skaplin@mirage.skypoint.com     | outside a Roman brothel.
    And Lao-tse said: Those who know don't tell; those who tell don't know.

Thread