1995-08-11 - Re: PRZ encrypted voice software release imminent

Header Data

From: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Message Hash: 1bef2577f5f6562b75c6b6873269ec2e84a988efc2b374fa8baa8fda1fef591b
Message ID: <199508111336.JAA05910@clark.net>
Reply To: <199508110645.CAA29891@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-11 13:36:46 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Aug 95 06:36:46 PDT

Raw message

From: Ray Cromwell <rjc@clark.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 95 06:36:46 PDT
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Subject: Re: PRZ encrypted voice software release imminent

> In article <199508110254.TAA02204@netcom14.netcom.com>, vznuri@netcom.com
> ("Vladimir Z. Nuri") wrote:
>
> >as if PRZ is not already enough of a folk hero....
> >BTW, he has been beat by Nautilus, right? Nautilus
> >is public domain, right? (I'm thinking of that public
> >domain voice encryption released a few mos ago).
> >I wonder if he is going to try to put a "spin" on this
> >one to differentiate it from the other one. on the
> >other hand, just having his name on it is plenty of
> >"spin"...
>
> I can't violate my NDA, but PGPFone will be a *major* revolution for
> communication security. I would not be surprised to see several hundred
> thousands of users. PGP will plale in comparison.

  My question is, how portable is it, and does it work over TCP/IP rather
than just modem connections (I suggested this about a year ago)? My ideal
implementation would function on the following architectures:

Unix: can be used through either /dev/tty?? or Socket (probably want
to use UDP). Works on Solaris, IRIX, AIX, NetBSD/FreeBSD/BSDI and Linux.
(audio devices are all proprietary)

Windows: uses Window's sound card device drivers, works via either
comport or WinSock

Mac: uses Mac sound drivers, uses Mac modem port or MacTCP

I'm looking for someting that has the look and feel of Internet Phone
(but ported to multiple platforms) with encryption.

-Ray

Thread