1995-08-14 - Re: PRZ encrypted voice software release imminent

Header Data

From: Thomas Grant Edwards <tedwards@src.umd.edu>
To: David Neal <dneal@usis.com>
Message Hash: a973529d701d6ff853f19b7201ddf0dd8ea8ccfc8ac42bb6b7398d8d0e660a60
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950814150605.13851A-100000@thrash.src.umd.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.BSI.3.91.950811164809.28774C-100000@usis.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-14 19:08:35 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 14 Aug 95 12:08:35 PDT

Raw message

From: Thomas Grant Edwards <tedwards@src.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 95 12:08:35 PDT
To: David Neal <dneal@usis.com>
Subject: Re: PRZ encrypted voice software release imminent

On Fri, 11 Aug 1995, David Neal wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Aug 1995, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:
> > when someone invents cheap hardware that you can just plug
> > on top of any existing phone, i.e. "the phone adaptor", TPA?,
> > *that's* when the world is going to go crazy with crypto.

> It's closer than you think.  I've been messing with TI's
> Digital Signal Processing DSK.  For $99 you get a DSP
> with audio in, audio out and 10k of memory.  Reference
> implementations of : DTMF encoders/decoders; 300, 1200, 2400 baud
> modem programs; and voice processing software already exist.

It would be interesting to create a hardware device which is
interoperable with PGPFone but uses a DSP chip and a slower control
processor.  I can easilly imagine $100-$150 as a reasonable range.

I will be really curious to see what kind of voice coder they are using
in PGPFone...I assume it is some flavor of CELP.

-Thomas

Thread