1996-02-21 - Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: m5@dev.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Message Hash: 3efb615a54b09d17674445ed815f69404412592faaa4f3d9a6b1e42b2f226afe
Message ID: <199602211522.KAA09387@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <9602211404.AA16345@alpha>
UTC Datetime: 1996-02-21 16:40:14 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 00:40:14 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 00:40:14 +0800
To: m5@dev.tivoli.com (Mike McNally)
Subject: Re: Internet Privacy Guaranteed ad (POTP Jr.)

Mike McNally writes:

> IPG Sales writes:
>  > We do not keep copies, we would not be in business 30 days if
>  > we did.
>
> How do you ensure that the keys are not intercepted, duplicated by a
> man-in-the-middle, and forwarded?

Besides, how do we KNOW they don't keep the keys? Other than their
vigorous protestations, of course -- and even were they paragons of
virtue instead of being about as slimey as they come it wouldn't be
acceptable.

Any system in which a third, untrusted party generates your keys for
you is, plain and simple, totally unacceptable. Period. I cannot
conceive of the circumstances under which I would allow a client to
use such a system if they had anything more important to protect than
their grocery list.

Perry

Thread