1996-06-07 - Re: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3279fa8000cb7bb96274f1125e5c502a54b943d07abe3e1d7f93946dd2b0a9f2
Message ID: <199606071725.KAA26027@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 07:56:48 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 07:56:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

At 04:05 AM 6/7/96 -0000, nelson@crynwr.com wrote:
>jim bell writes:
>
> > My impression is that it is frequently the pacifist-types who get us into
> > war, because they start the process out by tolerating actions by others that
> > turn into more serious actions, etc.  You know, the appeasers.  Are you an
> > appeaser?
>
>A quote from Donald Wetzel's book Pacifist:
>
>The pacifist is often asked what he would do in the event the United
>States were to be conquered by a hostile power.  The assumption on the
>part of the questioner is almost always that we would simply assume
>the proper position in which best to have our asses kicked.  I suggest
>that anyone who believes that such would be the pacifist response to
>the imposition in America of an oppressive, authoritarian
>rule--foreign or domestic--should consult the prison authorities that
>were in power when America's prisons were host to some six thousand
>pacifists.  I am sure it will be found that we have not been
>forgotten.

I propose that there has ALREADY been "the imposition in America of an
oppressive, authoritarian rule."

What are the pacifists doing now?

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com