1996-06-08 - Re: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

Header Data

From: nelson@crynwr.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3f3c6eaa255f52fa1f248145273b2d21e2d96beeee3ed46198f8f75e62a099cb
Message ID: <19960607182852.14074.qmail@ns.crynwr.com>
Reply To: <199606071725.KAA26027@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-06-08 03:28:19 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 11:28:19 +0800

Raw message

From: nelson@crynwr.com
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 11:28:19 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS

jim bell writes:
 > At 04:05 AM 6/7/96 -0000, nelson@crynwr.com wrote:
 > >jim bell writes:
 > >
 > > > My impression is that it is frequently the pacifist-types who get us into
 > > > war, because they start the process out by tolerating actions by others that
 > > > turn into more serious actions, etc.  You know, the appeasers.  Are you an
 > > > appeaser?
 > >
 > >A quote from Donald Wetzel's book Pacifist:
 > >
 > >The pacifist is often asked what he would do in the event the United
 > >States were to be conquered by a hostile power.  The assumption on the
 > >part of the questioner is almost always that we would simply assume
 > >the proper position in which best to have our asses kicked.  I suggest
 > >that anyone who believes that such would be the pacifist response to
 > >the imposition in America of an oppressive, authoritarian
 > >rule--foreign or domestic--should consult the prison authorities that
 > >were in power when America's prisons were host to some six thousand
 > >pacifists.  I am sure it will be found that we have not been
 > >forgotten.
 >
 > I propose that there has ALREADY been "the imposition in America of an
 > oppressive, authoritarian rule."
 >
 > What are the pacifists doing now?

Nothing -- alas, they don't see the oppression or authority.

For better or worse, America really *is* the most free country.  We
sit here and say how much better it could be, and how awful it is
compared to that.  Others look around and say "Well, you aren't being
carried off in the middle of the night by death squads, so I'm not
going to waste my time on you when I could help other people in danger
of death."  I'm not prepared to argue against that judgement.

-russ <nelson@crynwr.com>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 voice | It's no mistake to err on
Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | the side of freedom.

Thread