1996-11-29 - Re: The House Rules At The Permanent Virtual Cypherpunks Party

Header Data

From: Asgaard <asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se>
To: Bryce <bryce@digicash.com>
Message Hash: ebfeebc17ebc810bb0ec3c88d1c4c574d973029930fec8f8f68785d512e52f51
Message ID: <Pine.HPP.3.91.961129170630.7957A-100000@cor.sos.sll.se>
Reply To: <199611281454.PAA12144@digicash.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-11-29 16:52:33 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 08:52:33 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Asgaard <asgaard@Cor.sos.sll.se>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996 08:52:33 -0800 (PST)
To: Bryce <bryce@digicash.com>
Subject: Re: The House Rules At The Permanent Virtual Cypherpunks Party

> Rule 2:  Don't forward articles from other forums to
> cypherpunks.  We can find it ourselves the same place you did

This is not universally true. Everyone doesn't have access to
a functional News server or even to the Web, and some interesting
stuff could come from closed commercial sites etc.

But even if everyone had global access, I think there is a place for
forwarded articles on the CP list. It's a convenient way to keep
up with the happenings to passively watch on-topic items drop into
one's mailbox or to be able to request longer pieces with very few
keystrokes, jya-style. The most lazy of us will hardly even light
up our browsers for a maybe-interesting URL.

The problem is off-topic or quasi-on-topic forwards, including EPIC/EFF
kind of announcements. And all forwards would benefit from a personal
comment by the forwarder (at the beginning of the mail, NOT after the
10 screens document) where he explains what is interesting cp-wise.

Asgaard

Thread