1996-12-04 - Silence is not assent (re the Vulis nonsense)

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 57d03fb2298cbf383f2b68e97687b2fc181924028a28975e24459902dc79d552
Message ID: <v03007802aecaabd56b0a@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <32A3BBD6.1ECA@gte.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-12-04 04:23:44 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 20:23:44 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 20:23:44 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Silence is not assent (re the Vulis nonsense)

At 3:05 AM +1300 12/4/96, Paul Foley wrote:

>So Tim May's silence in response to Vulis's nonsense, while some
>others came out in his favour "argues (not proves, just argues)
>heavily in favor of Dimitri" too?  Yeah, sure!  Wanna buy a bridge?

Actually, I've gotten several comments in e-mail to this effect, that if
I'm not actively defending myself, maybe I'm guilty. Most were written
roughly along the lines of:

"Yo, Tim! This Dimitri dewd is rilly, rilly makin' some heavy charges. So
how come your not, like, defending your self? Like, is he maybe like right?"

[spelling and grammatical errors deliberate, to provide the flavor of some
of the post-literate e-mail I get]

As to the ramblings of Dale Thorn about how John Gilmore has an obligation
to provide services on his machine, well, I gave up on Thorn a long time
ago. (In fact, I seem to recall a Dale Thorn I killfiled years ago on the
Extropians list...maybe I'm confusing his name with someone else, but it
sure rings a bell.)

I returned Sunday from several days away from my computer to find the
expected several hundred messages in my various IN baskets, but was
chagrinned to see just how many of them were pure garbage. Between the
"virtual Montgolfiering" of Don Wood and his critics, and the coprophilic
insults of Vulis, little of substance lay in between.

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"